View Single Post
      01-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #28
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Engine Malfunction - Technicians Dumbfounded!

10 days after I thought they fixed it by replacing the HPFP, the idiot light came back on!
After a whole day in the garage the mechanics are scratching their heads & waiting for further instructions from ??? headquarters back in Munchen!
I thought they can change a whole engine in minutes in F1 ?
Oh I forget ... (slap my forehead)...they are not in F1 anymore!

As related to me by the SA, apparently they have been prescribed to only deal with warranty repairs in a linear, step by step manner.

This is reminding me of the wrong battery problem from the factory.
That took them 3 strikes, after i told them to look for the right battery part number based on the Car & Driver longtermer article!

They cannot jump to brilliant deductions, pinpoint the issue, with brilliant understand of the latest turbocharger technology(they've only won Engine of the Year at least 2x), diagnose & fix/replace the turbo wastegate actuators (if that's the offending component) immediately...

So they replace the HPFP on the 1st complaint, then if problem recurs, fix/replace the next component that's next in line on the 2nd complaint, then the next next component if problem is not fixed...all down the line.
The dealer technicians seem to have been turned into car part shufflers (instead of paper shufflers & pencil pushers).

No wonder they lost the war !

Too bad owners have to keep bringing their cars back!

That means BMW don't have to provide much training to their mechanics!
Anyone who can do paint by numbers can repair any BMW !

Right now a LEXUS sounds pretty good.
Appreciate 0