First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post
- and the Nav is not pulling some addresses that my 2008 3 series does, is there a work around for these -
That's the thing about BMW navigation. My 2011 has Google maps, impressive graphics, satellite view (when zoomed out), 3D map of Seattle (shows buildings, space needle in 3D, useless but gets a whoa every time new people get a ride). But, addresses and points of interest are often not found. Those that been there for years. I believe BMW relies on TomTom for that - officially way worse than Garmin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post
first impressions, great mileage but kinda sluggish 0 - 40 ... which was expected, we love this tank though
That's the nature of diesel for you. Torque vs. horsepower.
A little analogy: The diesel will have pretty much same (some may say low) acceleration pretty much regardless if it is empty or with a boat attached in the back. Like a sumo wrestler.
High horsepower vehicle will accelerate faster but its acceleration is greatly affected by environment (headwind, incline, or a boat in the back). Like a ninja.

Then there's an X5M. High horsepower/high torque beast. A ninja sumo wrestler.

P.S. I find the 6-speed transmission in my diesel does not want to upshift early enough, resulting in RPM often going beyond 2500, especially when from standstill. Is that because it was originally designed for gas engines? I don't know.

What I often do is force the transmission to upshift. For example, from stop, accelerate normally, and before RPM hits 2000, quickly put into Manual mode, upshift, put back to D. Takes a split second to do all that, but make the ride way more enjoyable, as the vehicle rides the useful torque curve (1700 - 2000 RPM).
Appreciate 0