View Single Post
      02-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
RDX6
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 35i

rios0311,

This topic seems to always be a hot issue and will continue to as along as there are cars and people.

There are probably between 3 to 5 categories most premium car owners fit in and what I mean by premium is mostly BMW, MB, Porsche, Land, Jag and Audi. Lambs, Bents, Ferr, Astons are what I consider Exotic cars and are a whole different ball game away from this forum.

For this discussion I will stick with 3 categories of owners:
1.DIY Guy - This person will tell you to not get a warranty, do it all yourself.
2.Take It In Guy - This person will tell you to get the best warranty possible. Will not pick up a screw driver.
3.50\50 Guy - This person would tell you to get the best warranty you can afford. Will do some basic modes and stuff but no engine work.

Based on the question you are asking I am a 50/50 Guy. So my advice since we are dealing with premium foreign cars I tend to get the best third party warranty out there which is typically the "Exclusionary policies".

Here is my thought process, when you buy a new car something is going to go wrong whether small or big. Your new car warranty takes care of it, no money out of your pocket. Now once it's out of warranty, then the repair bill is out of your pocket. In my experience the odds of something going wrong is greater than nothing going wrong during the next 2 or 3 years of an extended warranty. Even if you baby your car like I do, odds are if you drive it some things going to break.

I'm a used car buyer so for me an extended warranty is a must, it gives me a piece of mind and if I only used 500 dollars of a 3000 dollar warranty, that's an acceptable risk to me. But in my experience with foreign cars, $3000 is a drop in the bucket for one or two repairs on these types of cars.

A warranty is a must, however the real tricky part to me is select the right warranty company.

My Porsche Cayenne - EasyCare (little pricey) but they paid all claims no problem.

My MB SL500 - AutoPom (competitive pricing) but they paid all claims no problem.

My one knock on either, was always some little things they wouldn't pay for like some seal glue or something that was between 30 and 60 bucks that you would think they would be yet it was still less than $2500 water pump, valve cover gaskets, navigation system..etc.

Now if I had a domestic car I probably wouldn't buy a warranty because repairs would probably be a reasonable out of pocket expense.

My two cents, hopefully this is helpful.
Appreciate 0