Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Maxime was screwing around during the press event today

http://instagram.com/p/tZ2lr5lb19/
No one said anything, but I know someone is wondering what the heck is going on there. Well, here you go:

Adrenalin kick on water.

Flyboard instead of BMW M4 DTM, lift instead of grip: the ninth DTM weekend of the season in Zandvoort (NL) did not begin at the racetrack for the BMW DTM drivers, but at a nearby lake.

(BMW-Motorsport September 26 2014)

Here, the drivers were given the opportunity to try out the latest trend of flyboarding. Under professional guidance, Augusto Farfus, Joey Hand, Bruno Spengler, Martin Tomczyk, Timo Glock, António Félix da Costa and Maxime Martin all completed a flyboard training course. The only man missing was DTM champion Marco Wittmann, who was appearing on the TV show ‘ARD Morgenmagazin’ in Cologne at the same time.

With enough experience, it is possible to perform spectacular tricks both in and high above the water on this unique piece of sporting equipment, which looks similar to a snowboard but is powered by two water nozzles. The Dutch crew at flyboardteam.com, led by instructor Roy, gave the BMW DTM drivers an exclusive insight into their sport and, for a few minutes, literally lifted them off their feet.
Tomczyk was one of the drivers who embarked on this extraordinary watersport adventure. As he already had experience of flyboarding, he was able to impress his colleagues with some spectacular tricks and give them a taste of what they could expect during the new challenge that awaited them.

After the action on the water, the drivers continued on to the “Circuit Park Zandvoort”, where BMW Motorsport will look to defend its position at the top of the overall standings in both the Team and Manufacturers’ competitions this weekend, having already won the DTM Drivers’ Championship with Wittmann.

Quotes from the drivers after the flyboarding event:

Martin Tomczyk:
“This new sport is awesome, and incredible fun. I had the opportunity to learn the basics with the flyboard on my last holiday. Once you’ve had a bit of practice you can hover over the water and perform a few tricks. As my colleagues demonstrated, with a bit of balance and flexibility it does not actually take too long to be able to stay up on the flyboard, meaning even beginners can taste success and have a lot of fun.”

Maxime Martin:
“It looked so easy when Martin was the first one onto the water. However, when it was my turn, I noticed that you do actually need a bit of practice to be able to keep your balance above the water on the flyboard. After a few attempts I got the hang of it, and it was great fun. I think I will keep at it and hopefully have a few tricks up my sleeve soon.”

Augusto Farfus:
“That was an interesting experience. We all found our feet on the flyboard quite quickly. You could tell that we are professional athletes who are able to cope well with this kind of test of coordination. We even had an experienced flyboarder among us, in Martin. I really enjoyed the activity.”

António Félix da Costa:
“I had seen a few videos of flyboarding beforehand, and was really looking forward to trying it myself. It looks easier than it is, but it is a challenge – and we racing drivers love challenges. I will definitely try it again as soon as I get the chance.”

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-26-2014 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0