09-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmac View Post
I am looking for winter rims and tires for my 2012 X5 SAV with M sport package.

Everything I have read speaks to 18" rims being best for snowy weather.

I don't want to blow the bank on winter set-up.

Are both TSW and Beyern rims reliable? I do like the styling of 1 or two of them...

And Any suggestions for tires? (I have read about Pirelli Scorpion ICE and Bridgestone Blizzaks here...)

Thank you in advance! This forum is a fantastic resource for X5 owners!
We used the OEM 19's for our winter set up and added the Pirelli's. We run staggered 20" Beyern Mesh for our summer set up.

Both the Pirelli's and Blizzak's are very good in the snow and ice. (Run the Pirelli's on the X5 and the Blizzak's were on our old ML320). The Pirelli's have worn out much quicker than the Bridgestone's however. Both are simlilarily quiet and capable on dry pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmamba View Post
Blizzaks? Conti DWS? Proxes ST2's?
No comment on the Toyo's as I'm unfamiliar, but the Conti's are NOT for any serious snow or ice. We run them as our summer tires on the X5 and got caught with them on late last fall. They are a fantastic all season tire that perform above average on dry pavement or in the rain. For anything more than a centimeter of snow (1/2 inch for our US friends) or any ice they are what you'd expect out of an all season....mediocre at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_v_o_1 View Post
Are we able to run 18's on the X6? I thought I read somewhere that 19's are the smallest you can go???
My father runs the 19" OEM wheels on his X6 as that is what BMW recommended....and yes, he does always listen to the dealer suggestions...lol.
Appreciate 0