09-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
///AV_330i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i sport

e53 x5 vs Infiniti Fx

hey guys -

I originally posted this in the x6 forum by accident, so I thought I'd move it here in hopes of getting some feedback from e53 x5 owners.

I sold my 335 about 6 months back, and am not looking to get a less expensive, more practical car for college. Before the 335 I had a 330 and before the 330 I had an 04 x5 4.4 that I loved.

Because my 335 was a nightmare w/ maintenance (and because I'm in college and don't want to have to spend money or time on my car) I'm considering going with an Infiniti Fx instead.

I've driven both and they are really pretty much the same in the fun-to-drive category in my opinion - I slightly prefer the looks of the x5 and obviously it would be a little superior in an off road setting, but I'm worried that the maintenance and reliability would be a little subpar.

Just to give you guys an idea, I am going cheap w/ this purchase. I'm looking at very high milage cars (over 100,000) that will basically be able to get me through college, and that I won't cry over when they get dinged and dented.

Important criteria are:

SUV
Fun to Drive
Reliable
Cost Effective

...thats pretty much it. If any e53 x5 owners could fill me in on how their high milage x5s are holding up reliability-wise (and a rough maintenance price) that would be greatly appreciated. I think I'd probably be looking at a 4.4, since the 3.0 is a little pokey compared to either of the FX options. Do you think the v8 would have more issues than the i6?

Both are comparable in price in the current used car market - about 12 to 14 thousand w/ high milage.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm leaning toward the FX just because I'm worried about taking care of a high milage BMW.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0