01-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #36
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
yes, keeping these high tech machines beyond the warranty period becomes less & less of an option. I mean if u have to change a turbo charger every 30,000 km ! out of warranty! However well it drives, who needs the headache?
A friend who was considering the x5 3.5 D just drop it from his list after hearing my x6 problems!

I wonder if BMW has thought this through, the reason they have their reputation and the reason people will pay a premium price for their cars is there are lots of 5,10,15,20 year old BMW's running around.

If the quality is going to suck to the point that when the car is out of warranty and things like turbos (which BMW is going to in all their models) have to be replaced at $7k-10k a pop they will not be as desirable. If they are not as desirable then resale demises , then value of new ones will not hold up.

All of the old ones you see running around are NA , I don't think you will see the same number after the turbo's have made their way down through the line over the years (i'm not thrilled with turbo lag in new one). There are two things that MUST be in a BMW in order for me to pay the high price, QUALITY and PERFORMANCE.
Appreciate 0