View Single Post
      04-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
mikcin
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 5.0i

Post BMW X6 Glove Box Information

Background: Recently was changing over the factory interior bulbs in my 2011 X6 5.0i. Last one to be done, the glove box. Of course when removing the bulb I shorted out the harness and unbeknownst to me - blew the fuse (more on this later). I had already removed all the paperwork and not thinking - closed the glove box (first mistake). Since it's an electrical circuit (and lesson learned ) - do not attempt to pry the door open, won't happen and you'll be buying another glove box if you keep trying. Of course the fuse layout sheet in the trunk area is of no help - gives the layout but not specifics.
#1 - The emergency release for the X6 is totally different than the X5. The X5 uses a release cable. For the X6 you have to remove the passenger side dash vent closest to the door - there you will find the release button, press it and your glove box will reopen.
#2 - The fuse is located under the knee panel on the passenger side - held in place by three screws, remove then look towards the right side and you will see the fuse panel - locked in place by a green screw, turn it (it will not come out completely) and swing down the fuse panel. Yes they are mini fuses, yes it's all the way in the back, so be prepared to work in the blind when removing the fuse.

Lesson learned - if you are changing the bulb and blow the fuse - DO NOT close the glove box unless you absolutely have to, until you get another fuse. You can always remove the dash vent in a pinch if you need to get the box back open if you have not replaced the fuse.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0