04-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Agree on the first paragraph which is my point. If you look at what is done to change a standard 3/5 into an "M" version it's just about all the things you mention and they charge about another $30-35K for it. However if you look at the "M" version of the X6, other than the engine not that much has been done over the standard 50i.

And realistically if you buy an M X6 it will be mostly to get the extra HP to go in s straight line for the occasional turbo Cayenne you run into.
One of the things my father taught me was value before price, just don't see the value for the extra $30k. As far as the R&D that goes into these cars I'm helping pay for that now when I buy a BMW.

If BMW had any sense they would offer performance packages available at dealers just like Dinan is. Many folks would pay to maybe get extra HP but might not care/want the trackable suspension.
I agree with you for the most part. However there are more changes on the X6M over the X6 than just the engine.

- Engine parts have changed (pretty obvious)
- Suspension has been changed
- Cooling system has been changed
- Exhaust system has been changed
- Breaks have been changed
- Addition of a M Mode Launch control
- Steering has been changed
- Some body panels have changed (not that that makes much of a driving difference but it does make the car look nicer)
- Front and rear bumper have changed (increased?!?)
- Pedals have changed from rubber to stainless steel
- Transmission characteristics have been changed
- M style rims (not that they add much but they do usually cost more)
- A LOT of software changes throughout the cars control modules (and yes the development of such software does cost a LOT of money too, dmlgc should know a thing or two about that ! )

Now they did remove something (the fog lights) so they SHOULD charge you less for that

On the other hand, there are a LOT of features already included in this model that were optional on the X6 (or X5 for that matter). Including higher grade leather (extended Merino leather), instrument panel finished in leather, self-leveling rear suspension, rear view camera including the new top view camera feature, automatic tailgate, etc. If you add it all up, I don't think they are asking that much more for the X6M.

Mind you, as I mentioned before, I wouldn't complain if the price of this car would be a little lower too
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0