04-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I think that there has always been a 'huge opportunity' for Dinan or any other Tuning company for that matter with any BMW model. Not just starting with the X6. Take the 550 for example and stick a few Dinan parts in it and get the engine tuned up to get more power from it. But then again, it's still a 550 and not an M5. For that to happen you would have to tune the suspension, replace and/or tune the gear box/shifter/clutch..., steering wheel with paddle shifters, seats, rims and tires, replace the exhaust system, beef up the cooling system, stiffen the body with various parts, the list goes on and on. This goes for any other model in the BMW lineup that the M division has created an M version of it.

I think most people overlook what the real difference between an M version and the standard model really is. Most people just look at the engine output and maybe the 0-60mph (or 0-100km/h) numbers and figure that the price they are asking for this car is WAY too much. But do these folks think of what went into the development of a car like this?
Sure you can probably achieve the same or even higher hp and faster acceleration numbers as those posted by the M cars with a modded regular car, but do these modded cars carry a warranty? or will they be as reliable? or perform/handle the same way?
There is a reason why it takes the BMW M engineers 100s if not 1000s of hours to get the car all fine tuned to work the way they do!

You also have to consider that they have to pass stringent safety standards that are different from country to country. Doing all this development work and all these safety tests costs a LOT of money that they need to recoup somehow. Would I like to see these cars offered at a lower price point? Sure! But I can also understand where these high prices come from.
+2
Appreciate 0