08-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Doc GTO
Wicked Fast +1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5 50i MSport/02 M3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
How are you liking the zero and .02 toe in? Probably still too early to tell tire wear wise, but I am curious. I'm currently at .02 toe in on the front and .06 toe in on the rear and have been thinking of going less. My concern has been the awd system pulling the wheels back so a zero toe like you have would then turn into toe out on acceleration. You experiencing this at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymaxima View Post
Good question I need the answer as well!
No negatives noticed at all. It actually feels like she wants to hit the corners and turn! With all that toe-in before, she liked to go straight... I just got back from a trip and the truck was great on the highway. Nice manners as you can expect from a vehicle with as wide a tire as we have. It also appears that with less toe-in, we have less scrub. I did average about 20.5-21 mpg with the new alignment. When I bought her home from the dealership on the stock alignment, I got 19.5-20.2. Same route and same 79 mph cruise.

As far as toe, for the toe to change, you need a big force to move the suspension pickup points. Under acceleration (from the powered tire rotation) you would get more toe-in and under braking, more toe-out. With zero toe in the front, you could experience some monitor toe-out under hard braking which could cause some wandering but usually you only get this with substantial toe-out like on a track only car. Even my track car barely has any of that and I run more toe-out and a crap load of negative camber.

So, with all the toe-in we have stock, hard acceleration would just cause more. The stock alignment is designed for the car to have straight line manners and be more stable on the highway to compensate for the massive tires we have so it doesn't tramline all over.

Also, the Germans think we cannot drive so they set up the vehicles to understeer mores then neutral or oversteer. My setup may cause a little tramline (nothing that is harsh at all) but she is nice and neutral and feels so much more athletic in the curves.

I'm not a pro by any means but after 21 years of road course experience and suspension setup and after setting up Alfas/911s/E46 M3s for the track, I have my fair share of alignment experience. I always go for neutral to slight oversteer and better turn-in over a dead wheel, tire destroying, understeering pigs for the street!
Appreciate 0