View Single Post
      06-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Toneaero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Plasti Dip... Another success story! Step-by-step w/pics inside

I have been toying with the idea of powder coating my stock OEM wheels black but I wasn't sure if I wanted black to go with Alpine White. So after some recommendations from fellow forum members, I decided to try some Plasti Dip. For those new to Plasti Dip, its a "temporary" spray-on vinyl/rubber. It comes in a variety of colors and usually has a matte finish when dry. The ability to simply peel off the Plasti Dip "at will" is what sold me on doing this.

Here is how I spent my Saturday:

The initial wheel prep is the most crucial step in this process. The cleaner it is, the longer the Plasti Dip will stay on the wheel. This picture was before I used wheel cleaner, pressure washer, brush scrubbed, and wiped down with rubbing alcohol. It was tedious work but it will pay off in the long run.

Next is to tape off the lug nuts and drop them back in the hole. This will help keep the Plasti Dip out of the lug nut contact spots. If you don't do this, you might start tearing the Plasti Dip when you're torqueing the lug bolts down. Also pop the center cap out if you don't want that part painted too.

There are numerous ways of keeping the Plasti Dip overspray off your tire. I find using index cards the easiest and fastest way.

It took me 4 cans of Plasti Dip to do all 4 wheels. This includes both wheel face and inside the wheel.

It takes about 4-5 good coats to have a nice even coverage. I wouldn't rush this process. Wait between 10-15 minutues between each coat. Don't worry if your first coat doesn't look very good.

Here is a comparison of newly Plasti Dipped wheel vs clean stock colored wheel.

Here is close up of 4-5 good coats of Plasti dip. The paint lays flat when it dries and leaves a rubbery feel.

I think it looks awesome! :thumbup:

I have about 500+ miles with them now and still holding strong. I don't see why the Plasti Dip wouldn't last all year long. However, they are starting to look brown with brake dust on them but I heard its easy to clean with soap and water. When and if it does start to peel on its own, I now know that powder coating matte black is my choice of permanent wheel color.

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0