View Single Post
      03-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@VelosDesignwerks View Post
Turbos are not necessarily at their limit, of course you can run most boost they would not be running it in their sweet spot. If there was a flow chart that would help a bit to help you understand. As far as the perormance package that is roughly an increase of 25-30 rwhp give or take. BMW or any good tuner will not tune a car to its "limits" like you are implying. Why would you want to max something out? Its not a matter of understanding the N63 better it's understanding that each car is tuned differently from the factory.

Basically it's not like each car is tuned to x% of its potential from factory....

Feel free to call me to discuss I can explain a bit more over the phone.

Best,
I have looked at many compressor flow maps and understand them quite well actually... When I refer to "limits," I am referring to a compressor operating outside of its' efficiency range. Obviously, BMW knows these limits quite well and they are nowhere near them. They don't need to explore them because, like you said, the car is tuned with certain "goals" from the factory. What may be important for BMW (drivability, low end torque, fuel economy, etc.) certainly does not apply when someone decides to "Tune" their car for maximum performance. That is why I believe there may be more available if the aftermarket industry wants to push the envelope... The whole reason why people tune their cars is to push things and accept the consequences it may have (Reliability, altered driving characteristics, etc.).
Appreciate 0