View Single Post
      11-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
MyM3>UrCar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW m3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate55 View Post
So after my last post I did a bunch of research and came up with some answers. Here are the fruits of my labor:

1.Bluetooth
Bluetooth gives you basic handsfree functionality including contact list access through the car. It alone does not let you play music from your iPod/iPhone.

2.iPod and USB adapter (available exclusively through the Premium Sound Package)
This puts a USB port in your center console next to your Aux port. It allows for you to use a special Y-cable to connect your iPod/iPhone to both your aux and USB port at the same time. This allows for you to gain access to your device through the BMW idrive interface. It allows you full access to your library and playlists as well as genres, and you can even do a genius playlist from the car. You still use bluetooth for calls.

3. iPod Interface Adapter (available as accessory from BMW)
This does the same things as above except that its located in your glove box. Also it might not be compatible with newer iPhones as the website does not explicty mention anything other than just iPhone.

4. Smartphone integration (requires Premium Sound Package)
This allows for a snap-in dock in your center console that does the same things as the above two + uses the cars external antenna for calls (supposedly better reception) + charges your phone. The snap-in takes up about half the compartment and a different snap in is required for each phone. Since this option requires the Premium Sound Package, you still have your USB and AUX ports from the iPod and USB adapter free while streaming music from your docked iPhone. This means that you can hook up another device to the USB port (which takes priority) and/or AUX and listen to music on that instead.

In terms of the whole mobile office thing, I'm pretty sure that just requires Bluetooth, but its only supported on some new blackberrys and not the iPhone (atleast not yet).

I think option 2 also charges your phone through the usb but its explicity stated anywhere, so I could be wrong. Option 3 probably charges most iPod, but probably not all iPhones.

Hope this helps clarifies things. Feel free to add information.
I have one thing to add that you may not be happy with. i just recieved my
X5M with smartphone integration, and i use an i phone 4. the problem is that they havent made the i phone 4 snap in peice yet. they only have for iphone 3 and 3g. one of the people in the parts department told me that it should be around another year before it comes out.