View Single Post
      06-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

26 people couldn’t answer this question about the X5.....can you?

I have called numerous BMW parts and service departments, gave them the VIN to my car. I have called several glass companies and asked them. I have searched the web and came up with conflicting answers......now its your turn.
The question is......on a 2010 to 2013 BMW X5, the panorama roof is made of what type glass? Laminated or Tempered?

Before you answer.....please be SURE of your answer with some details of how you reached that answer. I have a strong feeling its tempered, but im not 100% sure. I even gave the folks the numbers off the sunroof. E000251, DOT 904, AS3, M513, 43R-000265, PGW 26, E11.
Google was my friend, and I learned a lot about glass. According to most website, this is what it says .....”AS3 can be used in certain locations in certain vehicles (and can be laminated or tempered) and has less than 70% light. The E11 with the circle around it indicates the country that certified the glass/windshield. The DOT code is the letters “DOT” followed by a number that the Department of Transportation assigns to the manufacturer of the glass. The M number is a model number for the piece of glass, which identifies the type of construction. The M number is unique to the manufacturer, so an M number of M513 by one manufacturer could be different than glass labeled as M513 by another manufacturer. It identifies the glass construction, including the color and thickness.”

Someone posted that their X5 panorama roof broke with a gunshot sound and shattered into little pieces. I thought, ok, it must be tempered glass until I read the last sentence from a several glass manufactures websites......”All tempered glass, flat or bent, can experience spontaneous breakage. If broken, tempered glass falls out of it's opening in interlocking clumps. For this reason, we recommend against using tempered glass for glazing above populated areas in commercial buildings and skylights in homes. Tempered glass can, on occasion, break into large shards rather than the classic tiny piece pattern.”

so.... can you answer the question??
Appreciate 0