View Single Post
      09-10-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Once a group of people establish a fascination with a particular idea, product, etc., they attach themselves to the idea that existed at the time, which is sort of like falling in love with a photograph. When you try changing it people cry foul because it would no longer be true to what they originally fell in love with. Some ideas or products are so fantastic or universally loved that they withstand the times and take on a global scope, transforming from niche concept to something the public at large embraces. Regardless, there is a strong resistance and even greater risk to change the original.

Porsche's core (911) is an example of this problem. The company wants to adapt and evolve their product over time, but look what happened when they have tried to make anything but superficial changes to 911 body style. IMHO, the "M" is one of these concepts, too.

I don't have a problem with a different kind of "M", particularly when you think about what the X5/X6 M's offers compared to BMW's core M product, the M3. They are both very technically advanced products; to think that you could radically alter a car's behavior by pushing a button is fantastic for someone who has watched high performance automotive technology advance/develop since the 60's.

What I do have a problem with is a 5400 lbs M. I'm can't fathom what BMW was thinking. You don't need 5400 lbs of stiff frame construction for people living in snow country, and certainly no one seriously considers this an off road or even a moderately smooth trail blazer. It doesn't need the weight for safety, either. Sure, it's large, but 5400 lbs?

Don't get me wrong, I love the X6 M but would also love to see what a 4200 +/- version could do with the same technological package, horsepower, etc.
Appreciate 0