protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasry17 View Post
Hello sir,

I really dont know much how engine car works but can you tell me more on how oil can enter to the intercooler? I thought only coolant is in the expansion tank and cools down the engine and heat exchanger. I never knew oil can enter to the intercooler. If you can elaborate more would be great
Due to most Government emissions standards, turbocharged engines are required to not only recirculate blow-off valve output back into the intake stream, but blow-by gases produced through the cylinder head (crankcase ventilation). Blow-by will always contain some element of oil vapour, and factory separators work to drop the oil out of the gas before returning it to the intake, where the gas will re-enter the flow into the engine and be ignited/burnt. Oil separated during this process is typically returned to the sump.
Sometimes under load (or poor performing factory separators), oil vapour enters the intake from the crankcase ventilation system, and can collect in intercoolers due to the fin restrictions catching the oil droplets as they pass through.