View Single Post
      10-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I didn't watch the video at first when I posted last time. Now I realize it's an M5 video. Yeah, it's common knowledge M5 and M6 got Competition Package for 2014. Glad to know it removes the top speed governor.

X6M (this being the X6/X6M forum) doesn't have this in the US, and never has. It is also governed at 155mph (167mph indicated on speedometer, roughly 8% optimistic). There are various tunes which remove (or loosen a bit) the top speed limiter for our X ///M series cars.

There is/was apparently an "M Driver's Package" that increased X6M limited top speed to 171mph (275km/h) but I don't believe this was ever available in the US. Again, if it was, my car would have it.

The Dinan tune moves the top speed limiter for X6M from 155mph to 167.7mph. Based on the roughly 7.8% optimism, the speedo would show roughly 180.68mph to the driver. Dinan states on their website as follows: this description of their tune that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan Website
With Dinan's software the governor is set to 167.7 MPH (270KPH) for all modes, due to the high center of gravity and the large heavy run-flat tires.
Therefore it seems that if someone was driving an X6M and it shows 190mph on the speedo, the car is actually doing about 175mph in real speed. That would not be unreasonable for this car, but probably the fastest that you'd want to be going.

To do REAL 190mph, the speedo would need to show 204.70 mph, which is a stretch for this car (read - not going to happen, at least not for long before something bad happens)! This assumes stock speedo, stock tire sizes, etc.
Appreciate 0