View Single Post
      05-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #33
stealth e70
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 x5 4.8i

I have heard some grumblings abot ADV1 but I am confident in their product and customer support in the event of a problem. Sometimes suppliers let you down in business and products fail...it's how you react to it that shows your true colors. In ADV1's case ASA actually supplies the billets for the Forged Monoblock and I'm sure Alcoa supplies the Aluminum Ingots so you can imagine the variables. All it takes is an impurity in the ingot and the entire chain is dealt a sub-standard product. Only time will tell if my 22's hold up or become expensive coffee tables In my business I have seen failures of OEM and Aftermarket wheels alike so I believe it's a roll of the dice in some ways.

Back to what I've been up to...I decided that I wanted to de-chrome the roundels and got busy giving them a glossy black surround. I don't judge those who mess with the actual roundel colors but for me they are a bit sacred.

Next knowing that new boots are coming down was the brakes. It's insane how much work it is to restore the appearance of older dirty components. I have about 12 hours into the disassembly and cleaning alone, nevermind the paint and assembly. One day I may upgrade to Brembo's but for now under normal street driving these are sufficient. I mixed up a version of PPG 'Cool Blue' to match the roundel (in real life it matches really nice). The calipers were left attached to the vehicle which added a ton of work and made them hard to spray but avoided a brake service. Brake fluid eats paint and I was a bit worried about having someone bleed them right away.

I have a fabricator buddy putting together my new mufflers, we are going to use the stock tips painted glossy black. Pics of this all done and installed soon...as you can see we have jigged the exhaust and I am hoping we can build duplicates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0