Teh.brandon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh.brandon View Post
I lost some after about 4000 miles of hard driving. However I don't know when the oil was changed prior to me acquiring the vehicle. I changed the oil and haven't had any consumption since, "according to the digital gauge."

I'll probably stick with 5k oil change interval even though the pricing is a little outrageous

I was super surprised when I read about the acceptable amount of oil consumption in these vehicles.

Truck goes in the shop on Tuesday for the rotor upgrade and brake job. Super stoked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh.brandon View Post
Oh and I was really surprised when researching oil weight how unsure people are as to what the recommended oil weight for these vehicles is. I just chose the 10w60 based on the posts I've read and the fact that the bottle says "m" and "twin turbo" on it lol

BMW oil change intervals and dealer service prices are just ridicules maybe that's explains 15k miles intervals with price tag around $250.

with the amount of driving I do (I drove 45k in a last 2 years) its hard to justify oil change at the dealer every 5k miles. I used to do change just around 8k until I found local Indy shop and now with price for oil change at $90 I can change my oil more often (every 5k)

for the brake job are u sure u want to do it at the dealer? I'm afraid you will have to pay them half of what u paid for the rotors to get it done! maybe its better to find another Indy shop to do it for u if you can't do DIY?

what did u end up buying for pads? Power Stop?
my rear pads/rotors are due to change in about 6k miles and I'been eyeballing f85 rotors for more than a year now, just can't seem to push myself to make the upgrade
Well this is my daily and 5k oil change interval is peace of mind for me even though I have a 2 year/48k bumper to bumper

Hahaha I don't use the dealer...we have an independent bmw specific shop that I've formed a relationship with...they have $85/hr labor cost and quoted an hour a rotor for the job. I can pay that and not have to get dirty lol. I did go powerstop carbon/ceramic pads. I went this route because of other members recommendation for reduced brake dust. Considering I have UUC brake lines hopefully the bite comparative to the oem pads will be negligible.

Also I used a vht extreme high heat satin clear clearcoat to reduce the dreaded rust compliant other members have had with the f85 brake hat and channels. We'll see how that turns out in the long run
Appreciate 0