03-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #31
Whoopsy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 B7, 11 X6M, 07 997TT, 08 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme123 View Post
So you would want to use Mobile One's 0W-20 then....it will circulate super fast on warm up. Obviously it's not that simple and and does not work like that. Many engineering factors goes into what weight of oil is used in a motor. It's just not that simples as molasse dripping down the side of the tree. Just bearing (main) clearences alone will be enough to change the weight of the oil used. I don't have any prove, but I am pretty sure the bearing clearences between the M and the regular 50i is different just because there is a big difference in load. The two motors may have the same root, but after all the design changes, they are essentially different, very different in engineering terms. Not saying that fact alone will dictate the use of TWS. Again, please go to the dealer and have them pull it up on the screen. I will not beleive what the dealer "say" or "tell" you by mouth. I went to a BMW parts department and asked what oil I should use for my x6M. His immidiate reaction was the 10W-30. Then he said he better double check. He looked it up on the system and it shows the TWS. Ask the dealer to show you on the screen period. See it for your self.
It is your choice if you want to damage your engine in the long run, you are the one using the wrong oil. You might want to double check your source, ask a difference source or better yet, ask BMW M directly.

The engine in the X5/6M uses the same oil as the one in my Alpina B7, which is 5w-30, same oil that's in all the new twin turbo V8. I had that confirmation from Alpina and M personal directly.

What I posted about the 60 weight oil for the high rev NA M engines in M3,M5/6 and the ZM is what I gather from M personal. I also had a separate conversation with a AMG engine builder, who builds both engines in my CLS55 and my ML63, during email exchanges between him and I. He actually found me from mbworld when I posted his sign on my engine pic. He told me pretty much the same thing on oil weight and engine revs.
Appreciate 0