11-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #103
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
- Cheap plastics. The dash itself was half decent and I could probably live with it. But then there were some hilariously cheap trims. As in even Kia interiors are nicer. Next time you guys take a look at these cars, look at things like the A-pillar trim or door panels.
Huge variety of materials depending on what you're looking at. To start with, there's a colossal gap between the major components between base and premium trims, and even the premium trims are lacking if they don't have the seemingly rare 68B premier trim package (I've seen about ten cars at dealerships so far and only one has had this option). I'm only bringing this up because you mentioned the door panels. I saw one premium GT without the premier trim, and it was lacking huge time with soft materials. The door looked like a shiny chunk of hard plastic with some odd vinyl inserts. The other one had the premier trim and gained soft touch surfaces on places like the door, leather covered surfaces with real contrast stitching (as opposed to black injection mold faux stitching without the premier), perforated leather door inserts, and additional stitching in areas like the seats.

As far as the giant expanse of aluminum that spans the IP, the base V6 rocks some kind of textured plastic, the base EB and GT have some kind of patterned smooth aluminum, the premier has brushed aluminum, the performance package has a really cool turned aluminum pattern, and the 50th anniversary AP has some kind of spun aluminum pattern. The latter two look great imo.

Aside from that, there's still some cheap parts in any configuration, like the plastic that frames the nav and HVAC controls, the brightwork that's chrome instead of polished, and the A-pillars like you mentioned (those little tweeters or whatever stick out like warts).

I'm still really happy with how far it's come though.

This will be my interior in loaded spec. Unfortunately, the Recaros lose the heating/cooling feature so you get filler buttons in the HVAC cluster.

And here's the outgoing Mustang to give you some kind of idea as to how far its come from its bargain bin roots.

Appreciate 0