View Single Post
      05-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #70
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by laselvasurf View Post
Update from the warranty company and my shop!

The warranty company found a used S63TU with 75K miles on it they want to have put in. The total cost out of my pocket for the job is going to be roughly $3K including replacing the rod bearings in the used engine, replacing the turbos and all gaskets/fluids. The warranty company is picking up $14.5K of the cost for the job. This is option 1. This could all be done in the next week.

Option 2... Remove engine block and send it to Troy Jeup or Ghassan Automotive for a rebuild. Once engine is returned, put it all back together and have a fully rebuilt engine. Total cost out of my pocket jumps up a bit to around $5K. This process will likely take well over a month.

I'll be honest, I'm torn. I love the idea of getting a fully rebuilt engine, but I'm a bit nervous about shipping the engine off to an unknown shop(both have some terrible reviews). I'm also missing driving the vehicle and my wife is getting sick of daily driving the M3(I'm borrowing her X5 35D) as it's just not that comfortable.

Anyone with experience with either ghassan or troy jeup have any additional information on how long the rebuild process takes?

Any thoughts on my options from people who have faced similar situations?
Ghassan is my vote - put more in and resolve the clear OEM design deficiencies they elected to green light.

Made easier for me because we have a second and third car.

Made easier for you because all the parts you'd be using he has clear line of sight to now because we had to research them extensively to ensure their function on my non-TU build.
Appreciate 0