View Single Post
      03-03-2023, 03:30 AM   #2
tonyh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi, I have the same issue. Did you get to the bottom of it? Many thanks.

--tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsoxs19 View Post
I recently purchased a 2011 X5 35d. I got it for a good price because it needed a little work. One of the things was new rear brakes.

I jacked the rear end up and pulled the parking brake button to put the brake on and it worked as normal. I went about loosening the caliper, carrier and the rotors and then went to turn the parking brake off and it would not go off. I pushed the button down, held the button down it did not do anything. Pushing the brake pedal, not pushing it, holding the button down for 5 seconds, release for 1 second and then up for 1 second and nothing. I could not get the parking brake to turn off, it still lit up red "Brake" on the dash. When I went to press the button it would just blink once fast and that was it.

I eventually found the emergency release in the trunk and used the tool to pull up the wire until I felt it break loose. After I did that I was able to get the passenger rotor off but the driver rotor was tough. I did hit it a few times with the hammer trying to break it free. Eventually I just pulled the rotor back and rotated the little gear on the parking brake with a screwdriver to loosen it enough to get the rotor off. Nothing looked broken just pretty rusted. Cleaned everything up and put the new brakes on no problem.

Now there is a yellow brake light on the dash. I looked up the code with ProTool and saw 6031 "Emergency Release Detected". I tried clearing it but it will not go away. Again I tried holding the parking brake button down 5 seconds, pause 1 second, up 5 seconds and did not work. I cleared all codes with ProTool, reset the EMF and the yellow light and code will not go away. I went under the trunk, unplugged the emf for a few minutes, there still is a code. When I open the door I can hear subtle clicks coming from the actuators but then the yellow warning light pops up on the dash.

So my question is how can I get the parking brake to just work again? To be honest I just purchased the car so I do not know if this was an issue before or just a coincidence. The few times I have used the parking brake it has worked. I'm not sure what else I could try but any suggestions are welcome, Thanks!
Appreciate 0