View Single Post
      07-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Any way to get a pre 1992 petrol car authorized?
Yes you can but even that varies from city to city. It's either about $30 a day with a max of 12 days a year (for one particular city, every city that has this enviromental zone has its own policy (in the netherlands, in germany its again another story etc), or you can apply for a more permanent authorization. But that is only possible if you had the car in your posession for quite some time and that you need it for a special purpose (medically, with adaptations that have cost a certain amount of money), or for your business like an ice cream truck). stuff like that. It goes really far.
However they do have a dismantle subsidization, where you can get between $1k and 2.5K for your old vehicle so you can look for a more suitable car (only for inhabitants that had their car for some time).
You get the idea, difficult, strickt expensive and varying from city to city.
If you visit, you have to pay.
but I know again from one city if you have a car over 40 years old you are exempt (those are of course the real classics, but a car like an e30 m3, imho also a true classic doesnt apply). But his varies from city to city or country to country.

IT's an impossible situation. I think germany is more standardized in this than the Netherlands, but germany has had these rules for quite some time now, 10 years or so for quite a lot of big cities (Netherlands has 13 cities with emission zones, some only appying for trucks). You might have seen the green/yellow/orange dot stickers (about 3" big) on front windscreens of german cars.
I dont know if countries like france or italy (or maybe scandinavian countries) have these rules.
I know London has low emission zones but I dont know the financial details etc. I dont think I've seen it anywhere else in the UK.

BTW all these zones are not based on CO2 emissions (and the authorization stickers on the cars arent either), they are based on NOx emissions, fine particle emissions (PM10 or PM2.5) and CO / HC emissions (the last 2 mainly for petrolcars from the pre cat era)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-15-2016 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0