Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

Snow and Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd1995 View Post
I am going to be as practical as I can (x6 is not the practical option!), but can anyone comment on driving on 20's in snow conditions? Having an extra set of tires for winter seems like over kill for me, so right now, it looks like I am going to stay with the stock rims... unless...?
Dale I have looked at this issue a zillion times. I'm sure I've posted about it on this forum too. Talked to Tire Rack guys. Also I've addressed the tracking issue (rear tires wider track than front ones).

My conclusions:

1. I have 19" winter tires, all same size. They provide a bit more leeway in hard snow and ice ruts, where the sidewall will flex. The higher sidewall provides more give to avoid rim damage and also some more comfort (you get tossed around less).

2. If you have a lot of snow and ice conditions, the 19" tires make sense to me. Here in Alberta, we get some snow but really not much - our roads are bone dry most of the time. I'm not sure I'd do the 19" tires next time.

3. The tracking issue is, to my mind, not a big deal for most people. However, the wider a tire, the less performance on snow and probably ice (if you can get any performance on ice) - the weight of the car is distributed over a smaller surface area and therefore "bites" more. I think if you look at rally cars, they tend to have skinny tires on gravel, sand and snow courses.

4. If ice is a serious problem and it is legal where you live, there is no comparison to studded tires. Absolutely the best thing out there. Had some for 4 years (not on an X6) and it was like driving on rails in the winter.

5. All-season tires are a poor choice for winter. A compromise at best, a safety hazard at worst. Esp for the X6.

6. Run flat for me is important for the X6 for several reasons. Primarily, I like the slight additional stiffness - BMW engineered the vehicle with that kind of tire stiffness in mind. Also for safety - if I'm in the middle of nowhere and without a spare...

6. Ultimately, the most critical choice is the model of tire. There are not many choices for us. I hated the Pirelli Scorpions. The Bridgestone Blizzak WM-25s are OK. Some of the issue may just be that I was used to driving lighter vehicles - the X6 is a fat pig and you can't expect miracles out of the tires. My wife's 335i xdrive is awesome on her winter Michelins.
Appreciate 0