Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
Yes, while I thought that was the problem due to the noise sounding exactly like what I was hearing on the road. On another forum where I posted the same picture, someone told me to forget about the latch and instead focus on those two side loops, and I did, and it was immediately fixed.

The funny part was I investigated that area earlier, and with the hatch open, and tailgate closed, I pushed and pulled with all of my might back and forth and I couldn't get any type of sound. I actually think the sound is generated by a vertical motion caused up going over speed bumps, etc rather than the lateral movement caused by the hatch or me pulling on the tailgate. Anyways, taping those two things up I guess softens the contact enough to avoid the sharp metal on metal contact. If you want, let me know and I'll take a picture of them taped up, like I said I just wrapped each of the four corners with 2 wraps of electrical tape.

Definitely a design fault for BMW, but man it is SOOO much nicer. I was really getting frustrated driving this car, especially in parking lots without the radio on.

Much, much better. There are still a few annoying plasticy creaks, like when my elbow is on the center console, it can make for a few cheap sounding plastic creaks, and the head rests when touched are so darn cheap and loud, but I can live with that compared to the hatch noise.
Please post pics.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0