Dan_Q
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F15 X5 50i

Garage List
2018 M3  [9.50]
2015 X5 xDrive50i  [10.00]
xDrive 50i or M?

I'm likely making the switch from having 2 vehicles to having just 1. I sold my 335i last fall with plans to replace it with an F82 M4 this spring. My winter/camping/family vehicle is a Land Cruiser. But simplifications in life have me now considering just getting a nicer SUV, selling the LC and having one vehicle. I still want something quick/sporty (the LC is my first automatic transmission ever), and so the 50i or the M would be my two options.

I don't like the style of the F15 as much, and the jump in price is not worth it to me over the E70. I just went and drove an E70 50i and it was definitely not slow. The steering felt great too. With a tune it would prob be very quick. I haven't driven an M yet but it sounds like it's a monster. I'd be trying to find something as low mileage as possible (~35k seems possible on 2013's) and would travel to get it. M's are fewer and farther between and mileage that low may not be possible. I live in CO and ski/camp/bike, so this thing will see some adventure miles but I'll dial back my expectations from what the LC's seen! There will be separate wheels/tires for winter in the plan as well.

Both cars seem to have mediocre reliability but a lot of it looks to be simple fixes? I'm very handy and have done a lot of maintenance/repair on all my cars. Probably not valve seal replacements though... I've done turbo replacements but never had an engine out. Probably never will and it I do, it definitely won't on my daily! But my general impression is that these cars are decently reliable if you take good care of them. And hopefully there are no ticking time bomb repairs. I likely won't own the vehicle past 100k miles.

From others who've considered these two, or someone who's owned both of them. What decision did you make and what did you base it on? Happy with your ride in the end? Anything you'd tell a perspective owner?

Last edited by Dan_Q; 03-18-2018 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0