View Single Post
      04-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
UNDRPSR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 50i

Thumbs up X6 50i airbox mod

I've had my X6 for about 6 mos now and like everyone else was completely annoyed at the way the air box was designed. I also just sold my E60 M5, and one of the first mods on that car was to remove the charcoal filter that is in addition to the regular filter. So, I asked around to see if anyone knew that this may be the same situation in our 50i's. Well, as you can imagine no one had a clue, and I've never seen one post about it on any forum. Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see just how this thing is screwed together.

In short, what a PITA to get to the actual air filters which are integrated into 2 huge plastic airboxes. The good news, there are additional charcoal filters that you can remove to provide some additional airflow. Its been 3 months or so since I did this mod and have had no adverse effects or CEL's. I think it spools up a little quicker and i can get close to 15 mpg if I pay attention.

I now realize the delay in any vendor trying to produce a K&N type filter, its going to be way more involved then just simple drop ins like the X6M's. But you can get a little something if you're feeling adventurous !!

Appreciate 0