12-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
DarienJim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 x6 50i

x6 Battery Discharge or Drain problems

All,

This is my first post. I have a 2009 x6 50i which I love except for one problem: the battery discharges very quickly and randomly, especially in the cold weather.

The first year I owned it, within a few weeks, the battery went dead several times. I was told by the dealer that I had a "adverse driving profile" and needed to take longer drives. When I pointed out to the service manager that I have owned 27 different cars over the past four decades (none of which where a BMW!), and that I never experienced this type of problem, they took the car and did a long extensive test and said the alternative went bad, so they replaced that and the battery and sent me packing (last winter.)

Over the summer I lost the battery several times, one of which I left the tailgate open for 1.5 hours with the small light on and the battery was completely dead. I got another new battery.

Well, in the past week it got cold again and the battery on several consecutive days had no clock in the morning, a warning of battery discharge and the car barely turned over. I went to the dealer and got the same "adverse driving profile." Basically I had 250 trips under 10 miles over the past six months. That despite putting 35k miles on it in less than two years--I guess they do not count the long trips as positive.

Anyways, they put a new battery in today, and perplexed what is draining the battery and agree there is nothing wrong with my driving habits.

I have been on the internet searching various posting and see others with battery problems on their x6's. I am looking to get a forum together to discuss.

Currently my dealer is engaged with the factory on this issue. I am convinced either the battery is too small or else some electronic component is draining the battery. I suspect it is something to do with maybe seat heaters or defroster since it occurs more in winter, but want to hear about other experiences.

I am prepared to fight the dealer and factory on this until it get fixed or a refund. Please PM me if you would like to discuss offline.
Appreciate 0