Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiln View Post
"We also have a member over in Germany that changes them regularly and his friend is one of the M engineers that travels around to the various dealership and see alot of M car, he stated it is a very common problem that can be prevented."
So how does one prevent this? You can't allow someone to make a statement as above and leave it hanging.

I have a gut feeling this is an issue related with the oil level and the electronic oil level sensor. Letting the oil drop to lower levels for a longer period might impact on the oil pressure thus causing some starvation especially in the away bearing (i.e. 8) and the upper ones. Keeping the oil level and pressure at optimum I think is of utmost importance for these cars. Every time I see my level drop from maximum I add 500 ml and it goes back to maximum. It hasn't overfilled yet. I will keep doing this. But I don't know whether is a band aid solution like the thinner oil etc. My 2c.
He didn't leave it hanging, there is only one solution...... Adding clearance!

Unfortunately adding clearance on the S65 or S85 involves removing the engine and having the crank journals ground to a diameter that will give you proper clearance. It will be a little more expensive to do this than a simple bearing swap, the thing is the bearing swaps will be an ongoing affair but adding the clearance will be a one time thing!

One thing is clear to me from your statements about oil level is that you are misunderstanding the cavitation and starvation statements as being starvation due to oil level. The S65 would probably have to be 5-6 litres low on oil before it would affect pressure and cause a starvation/cavitation issue. The sump size in the engine is 9L because it is necessary to have it that large for a number of reasons........ Cooling, de-aeration of the oil, and ability of the oil to maintain a high enough TBN make it between the long drain intervals prescribed by BMW are a few reasons. Cavitation/starvation as stated by myself and Kawasaki00 is due to the inability of the TWS to flow before it has reached operating temperatures given the tight clearance numbers used by the S65/S85.

Last edited by BMRLVR; 08-26-2013 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0