03-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #44
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
I would not seriously consider the two you mentioned, but take the 2006 911 for a test drive.
I drove it on Monday. It is low mileage, less than 29K, and in overall excellent condition. I enjoyed driving it a lot. The asking price is $41K, and I made no effort to negotiate.

I've thought about buying it a few times, but in the end there are 2 reasons why I will not.

(1) IMS bearing issue is relatively uncommon but still certainly possible for a 2006 911 997.1

(2) I think if this was your only car and you just wanted a really nice Porsche, then it would be great for that. It was not, however, such an exceptional car that in a small collection like I have, that it would clearly stand out as something very special.

Having a lot of cars is obviously not usual and not very practical (most would add, "not very intelligent") either. Buying another car to add to what I already have means that whatever I would buy would have to stand out, or it won't get driven much, and in the end will probably be resold in a year or two.

All of the cars I presently own are unique or special in some way, at least to me. My 1M, 135is Convertible, and Z3M Coupe need no further explanation. My other two cars, a Golf R and a 135i, are not THAT special, but I treat them as essentially daily drivers, and use them in the winter when I would not drive the others. The R is AWD and has 4 doors and a hatch, very useful. My 135i is every bit a high performance RWD BMW, and reminds me a lot of my favorite old car, a 1993 325i that I owned as my sole vehicle for 10 years.

So, although I think you probably could not find a better example of a 2006 Carrera Coupe then the one I'm not going to buy, it just doesn't scratch an itch I can think of.

At this point I'm thinking 997.2 Carrera, however I could also consider something like a Z4M Coupe, 2006 to 2008, which might not be all that redundant with my other cars.
Appreciate 0