Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
This is super sad. Why is he retiring?
Alonsof has a contract that runs through 2017. Button'so contract is done. Apparently Vandoorne is highly rated and a hot item in the paddock, who is no longer accepting of a reserve drive role. If Mclaren didn't give him a seat he would've most likely gone to Renault or taken in by Mercedes through one of the midfield teams or maybe Manor. IMO, Button hasn't lost pace and has continued to improve his racecraft even this late in his career. Unfortunately 3 doesn't go into 2 so henceasy Button stepping back.

I don't think it's a bad deal at all. Button has his WDC. I highly doubt Williams will be a better situation to contend next year (they will most likely finish 4th, down from 3rd last year). He won't be hurting for coin. He's getting paid by Mclaren for 2 years to help develop the car, do marketing as a brand ambassador and might even be back in a car if Alonso decides to bounce due to a less/non competitive car. I'd take that deal too if I was JB.
Makes sense. But will definitely miss JB.