View Single Post
      10-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
CrashRat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35d

Buying new wheels, offset question

Hi Guys & gals, thanks for the great forum. I'm the latest caretaker of a 2011 X5D in Platinum Bronze Metallic with black Nevada Leather on the inside. This rig had more than $27,000 in options from the factory, including some pretty rare ones:

rear entertainment for the kiddos
3rd row seating for the occasional trip with their friends
premium sound to make the trip fun
Sport pkg w/adaptive drive
leather dashboard
heads up display
lane departure

on top of the usuals:

technology
premium
cold weather
running boards
comfort access
auto high beams
side view cams
roof rails
running boards

She just started her 2,000 mile journey yesterday via covered wagon. Supposed to be here Sunday. Can't wait.

First mod already committed to: Just ordered my 1.2/1 H&R springs this morning

Second mod I need some help with please:

wheels. I'm not understanding offset very well, and seem to be getting conflicting information. Here's the info I have figured out so far:

OEM 19x9 style 335 wheels (my size) are ET48/48 front/rear

I am looking at 20x10/20x11 staggered

OEM 20x10 / 20x11 staggered are ET 40/37 front/rear, and require a wider fender arch

The wheel guy seems to talk with a lot of authority, and is telling me what I'd want to do is buy ET43 rear and run 15mm spacers, with ET23 front and no spacers to meet the edge of the wider fender arches. I don't understand though how the offsets could be so different from OEM and still look right?

I'm a newbie, this is only my second post but I've searched the forum for several variations of "wheel offset" "wheel size" etc and still not coming up with anything that answers this question for me in a way that makes me comfortable enough to fork over the money. If anyone could please advise on this, I'd sure appreciate it.

I'd also be interested in seeing pictures of folks with Plat Bronze Met rigs who are running gunmetal, or gloss black wheels. Those are the two colors these rims I'm interested in come in, and I haven't decided yet which one I like best.

Thanks much!

Greg
Appreciate 0