06-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #59
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
If ur hypothesis is correct, then only BMW service can confirm that the problem would primarily occur in models with"Split" fuel tank over the drive shaft, including the 335i w/ n54 engine. Or perhaps in vehicles where owners routinely wait til their fuel tank is less than 1/4 full or less.
I'm suggesting it's a combination of both. Running the tank low is the most significant factor, but the split tank probably contributes/compounds the problem.

Couple problems however, and that is some owners have experienced n54 HPFP failures on fairly new vehicles with low mileage. The tt 4.4L v8 N63 HPFP does not appear to fail at the same rate as the n54 HPFP. I'm guessing they learned something from the n54 failures and made changes accordingly, but due to the overall design of the n54 are not able to effect those same changes to solve the problem. I think it's significant that other makes that use HPFP don't seem to have the same failure rate as the n54.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 06-29-2010 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0