View Single Post
      11-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Although I want a higher speed limit, and even though I totally agree with you that our modern cars are fully capable of safely sustaining speeds of 100+, it is an unfortunate fact that it could be quite dangerous in the US.

Here's what I'm saying. Our road and highway system within the US on average is quite good. It doesn't measure up to unlimited speed autobahn standards, nor do we meticulously maintain our roads in the same manner as the Germans maintain their autobahn. Regardless, I think for the most part 100 mph average is completely sustainable.

The problem is the other drivers on the road. Never been to Germany but have watched a number of television programs about the autobahn, including History Chanel (i.e., WWII construction of the autobahn) and cable info type shows. There was an excellent program about 8-12 months ago specifically about the autobahn. The point is this: it's a lot more difficult and more expensive to get a driver’s license in Europe – they don’t hand them out like candy like they do here in the US.

1st there's school and passing a test: you have pony up some bucks to go to school, and then pass a rigorous test. Seems if I remember correctly it’s a few hundred dollars at least by the time it’s all said and done. That process alone weeds out the marginal “I’m alive (see I’m breathing) so give me driver’s license” people who really have no business piloting a motor vehicle.

2nd, the traffic laws are more strictly enforced in Europe. When was the last time you heard of the cops routinely ticketed people for driving too slow in the center lane, failure to allow a faster driver to pass, or for failure to move from the center lane to middle or far right lanes? Not in my lifetime. About 20 years ago my goofball neighbor got cited for driving too slow after he caused a major freeway traffic accident. He had a flat tire but instead of pulling over, he limped along at 5 mph. A guy came along and rammed the shit out of his car, totaling both cars. The 2nd driver went to the hospital with severe injuries. I got sick of listening to the dipstick complain about that guy that hit him.

People in the US seem to think they have a God given right or responsibility to singlehandedly hold own freeway speeds. I don’t know how many time I nearly gnawed off my own hand because some self righteous a** felt obligated that morning to hold down freeway speeds to a safe and sane 65 mph. The other scenario is the person who drives only 55 mph on a 70 mph freeway, but doesn’t like driving in the slow lane because of trucks or having to slow down for people exiting the freeway or merging on.

So even though in principle I agree with you, we should be able to drive faster, with the exception of a few places like Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, etc., it’s not safe or practical in the US.

That part you said about taking over the Moon – now that has potential.
Appreciate 0