07-24-2023, 05:33 AM   #326
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysparabola View Post
Can you clarify if your drivers are genuine B&W or the AliExpress counterfeits? I lost track of who besides SlowX6M has genuine B&W.

for reference, I have the fakies (got scammed on eBay) in my F10 and genuine B&W in my garage still needing to go into the car. Still making up my mind on if I'll do that swap or just grab some ES100Ks and call it a day.
They are all genuine. All my b&w speakers were bought using bmw genuine part #s. The only aliexpress I’ve gotten were the second pair of underseats I got, which are infact still genuine going by T/S parameters.

I’m pretty sure B&W speakers are manufactured in china btw. Only certain ones like 800 series aren’t. And even then I think the speakers themself are still from china, just the cabinet is made in house.

If you want to spend the $2,250 on 3 pairs of midranges then go for it. That model also isn’t a drop in option and would require adapters to fit too. I’ve tried some of their speakers before and don’t really care for their sound.

Actually if you wanted to spend the money these morels would be better: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210IRB...42.html?tp=105

Higher sensitivity (92db vs 90db) so they’d be a bit louder than the focals, assuming your using factory power. If going aftermarket they can take almost double the power (100wrms vs 60wrms). Personally I like the morel sound better too. Although $200 more expensive per…

Also if you compare the crossover point the morels are 2.7khz vs 3.5khz. I tend to like a lower crossover point because something like a 4” midrange will start beaming, or becoming directional, above 3khz. Also focal tweeters tend to be more “bright” where morel tweeters are “warmer”. That part is personal taste, but I prefer warmer sound. Midrange focal is known for being very realistic/neutral sounding with morel being more lively/punchy.

The b&ws though I think are the best value. Good power handling, high impedance (which translates to better sq), and a very sensitive speaker. I’d guess around 93db (remember what I said about speaker sensitivity of 8ohm speakers vs 4ohms speaker).
I purchased a continuum midrange from the newest b&w systems which are being using in the XM and i5 which I’ll be testing too. Supposed to be a superior cone material over the aramid fiber found on the “older” b&w midranges.