View Single Post
      07-14-2023, 06:53 AM   #298
Matti123
Rep
Drives: Bmw e60 and X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
To clear up the confusion on the logic 7 system in the E70 x5 this gives specs on the sound systems: https://ia801005.us.archive.org/11/i...%20Systems.pdf
Top hifi is the logic 7, at least that’s what I assume. If you’re going off the e60 system then it’ll be different. And no most music is refined to 30hz. Some genres/songs play below but the overwhelming majority of music is refined to 30hz. Also most bass energy in music is between 80-160hz. There are some exceptions obviously. Lots of edm music has sub bass too but most sub bass is around 40-60hz.
If the specs you’re given are for the e70 “individual system” then the difference you hear is hardly from the power or the speakers, it’s the processing. Yes processing is very important and can make a system sound much better I’m not denying that and I know first hand since I have a dsp in my system, and I wouldn’t recommend going aftermarket without one in our bmws because of the crazy eq tunes that needs to be fixed and in favor of using the underseats with a proper sub.. I’m not putting down the idea that someone could swap to the individual and keep everything oem for better sound, I’m just pointing out that the improvement is from the processing and it just sounds better, it’s not louder. You’re over simplifying audio, it’s not that simple to make something “louder”.

I’m sure you were disappointed with the match 7 amp because it’s hardly an upgrade if I’m being honest, especially how you had it set up. The sub channel output is rated for 2ohms and the B&W sub is 8ohms, so they were getting like 40w each. The B&Ws response drops off below 80hz in a sealed enclosure too. I personally played my B&W underseats down to 25hz with 105w each and had good results, but with 250w each and a real subwoofer, they don’t need to play below 80hz. And they cannot play flat down to 20hz, they drop off in response starting at 80hz then a lot at 40hz. If you ported the enclosure, like it is in the B&W system, they’d have a flat response to about 30hz. It’s a slim 8” woofer so they’re a better midbass driver than a subwoofer. Of course I’ve found out that it’s very hard to time align and level match a subwoofer to mid-bass but when you get it right It’s actually louder and sounds much better, than trying to get it all from one woofer.
A proper aftermarket system will outperform any oem system. I bring up amps because bmw specs max power, not rms power. My system in total is 160amps fused and puts out about 1,750w continuously and honestly still probably a bit less than that. I believe the B&W system amp has a 60amp fuse, so I doubt it’s 1400w continuous, more like half that and they used more sensitive (all 8ohm) speakers to get it to be “louder” and more efficient. Again there is much more to audio than what you make it out to be.
Yes top hifi is same as logic 7. All music has 20hz frequencies, you can use an RTA to test that. Most bass energy is definetely not 80-160hz. Again I recommend using an RTA to actually see where most songs play bass, but in my opinion 40-60hz is where most bass is on most songs.

Yes finally you are catching on. Watts doesn't make much of a difference to anything, its the processing. Superior processing makes individual audio so much better than logic 7. Dirac is wonderful.

What do you mean with "it just sounds better, its not louder"? Isn't that the whole point to sound better lol. Nobody cares which is louder but spec sheet still says individual audio is 2db louder. I think you are misunderstanding being louder to being good. Loud doesn't mean good.

I am not disappointed with match up7bmw, its an amazing amp. Nothing better for the same price. Until now I have wanted to use oem B&W speakers because that actually raises the value of the car but that is also holding the system back little bit. I haven't measured my B&W subwoofers impedance yet but I think they are 4ohm which means they are getting 80W rms. They are not in a sealed enclosure, e60 already has vented enclosures. But e60 enclosures are smaller and its not as rigid overall since car weighs much less than new bmws. A lot of energy is lost to vibration. Hence why their peak is 50hz on my system. Drops over 10db till 20hz. I wouldn't use the B&W as midbass, they don't sound good doing so because of their xmax being around 10mm and fs of around 40hz. I have mine low passed around 150hz because higher than that they start to mud up.

You need to spend a lot of money if you want to beat oem B&W on bmw ix for example. More than what the system costs. Unless your better means louder, which it seems to...

Higher impedance is not used to be louder, its often the opposite. Higher impedance is used when sound quality is wanted. Hence why home speakers are often 8 or 16 ohms. Only in cars are 2 ohm often seen because its easier to power with a cheap amp. Doesn't sound as good though
Appreciate 0