View Single Post
      12-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #39
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

If you look at the picture where I remove the bare block on the hoist, that was my final attempt to remove with head on and oil pan off. That was a no go ,so head had to come off.
If you look closely near the front crank , theres a couple pin bolt where the chain guides go on to. They will sit quite flush to the cover so I don’t think you can remove/install with the cover on.
Keep in mind the front cover will seal water jackets to the block, be careful when prying or hammering it.
The head gasket portion of the front cover does nothing more than just sealing oil. Theres no extra pressure than what the pvc will see. I would add some gasket sealer silicone if your able to do the desired job.
Engine weighs less than a 1000lb, so a cheap hoist will do. But the only problem was that the arm that extends in to the engine bay is too short. As you can see , i had to rigged up an extension.

The dowel pins for the timing cover is quite important. It holds the cover when you remove or install the crank pulley as the special crank tool is lock on it.
Appreciate 0