11-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #15
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post

Well, I am not an audiophile by any means, so I can't tell you much about types of materials that are used for tweeters, but I know that the B&W system actually empathizes tweeters the most in the new BMW. For instance, in my 2021 X6M there are a total of 11 tweeters - one center, four doors, two rear deck, and four in the headliner. The three front tweeters (center and two front doors) are using diamond domes, and they retail for about $900 each. The system does sound very good for a BMW, and very bright and clear.

The mids and subs are also very good, for a BMW. They can't handle too much power, but the clarity is great as long as you keep your volume at reasonable levels. I had Logic 7, B&W, Bavsound and Bimmertech midrange speakers on my desk bench, tested them sides to side, and the B&W clearly produces the highest quality sound.

So far in my X5 I have installed two B&W subs and seven B&W midranges, and I am very happy, it sounds really really good. Maybe some day I'll add the three diamond tweeters as well, but I can't really justify dropping nearly 3k for them.

Now, with all of this being said, it is important to manage your expectations. BMW does not design custom enclosures for different audio systems, so even the cheapest speakers share exact the same enclosures and are interchangeable with the most expensive B&W speakers. You will never get the same quality sound as say a Mark Levinson system that Lexus uses, where they actually have custom enclosures designed for the ML speakers to interact with. Also, BMW underseat subwoofers are very shallow and use very shallow enclosures, so they really are more like mid-woofers and won't hit low frequencies, but the B&W ones are nicely balanced with the midranges, and so overall the system sounds real good. Of course if you want true audiophile system, you must go with custom built everything, but that can be very invasive and inconvenient, not to mention expensive.
That's a lot of tweeters! I wonder how they are wired or tuned into the system. Makes me want to add 6 more tweeters in my headliner and say I have 12
EDIT: that 11 tweeter system has 20 individual channels

Do you happen to know any specs on the b&w speakers? I'd be interesting to see how they compare to other options, they sound like a solid alternative.

That's nice you have the logic 7 system in your x5, I was cursed with the base system in my X5 :, so I put together my own system... so far I have the 6 grs 4" midranges and 6 infinity tweeters, and the two 8" grs woofers all amplified by focal compact amps (two 4ch 58w per ch & one 2ch 105w per ch) getting their signal from an audiocontrol DM-810 dsp. Just that sounds amazing. I'm hoping to get my subwoofer enclosure finished up soon and then add my two jl tw3s that are anxiously waiting to be powered by a focal 850w mono amp then I'll be adding two audiofrog 2 1/2" speakers in the center channel to kick it up a few notches