View Single Post
      11-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

The best audio upgrade for the X5

Just wanted to share my experience with my recent audio upgrade.

I bought my 2012 X5 brand new, and it had the Logic 7 audio system, which at that time was the top of the line system available on the X5, at least the non-M models. I believe the X5M models also had "individual" audio options, but I'm not even sure if these were even different from the Logic 7.

Despite being top of the line, it was not a very impressive system to begin with, and after 8 years of wear and tear it started to sound very flat and I decided to upgrade it.

Back in January I purchased a complete kit from Bavsound - two subwoofers, seven midrange speakers, and seven tweeters. I did not need to upgrade the amp since Logic 7 digital amp already puts out I think 1000 or 1500 watts necessary to drive the upgraded speakers. Upon installing the Bavsound system, I was initially impressed - the subwoofers delivered a lot more punch, the midranges and tweeters were substantially "louder" than the stock speakers, and I was a satisfied for a short while.

After a while I started to notice rattles that I though were my door panel vibrating, but they turned out to be distortions from the Bavsound speakers. Also I noticed their tweeters had a lot of static noise. And their subs were completely out of balance with the midranges, delivering almost too much bass at any EQ setting, and the bass just sounded fake, like the "expanded" bass you get from cheap computer speakers.

At the same time I also had a 2017 X6M that came with Bang and Olufsen system. The B&O system was maybe a bit better than Logic 7 system in my X5, but also not very impressive. And then back in August I traded the 2017 X6M for the new 2021 X6M that came with Bowers & Wilkins system, and the B&W system is most certainly a substantial upgrade from the Logic 7.

So I ripped out the Bavsound garbage, and installed two B&W subs and seven B&W midranges. I did not use B&W tweeters because a) they don't come with inline filters, the B&W amp has an internal crossover and b) they are $900 each for the front ones as they use diamond cones. I bought seven tweeters from Bimmertech.

I am very satisfied right now, and I can vouch that this is the best upgrade for any BMW without going custom. It is not exactly audiophile system since BMW audio systems are lacking in general, but it doesn't disappoint.

All of BMW's systems including B&W are made by Harman Kardon, and all the speakers are exact the same size, but obviously they use different quality components and manufacturing process, and their B&W line is the best so far.

If anyone else is interested your part numbers are

65-13-2-622-510 - subwoofers (2)
65-13-2-622-774 - midrange speaker (7)
Bimmertech Alpha One A10 tweeter - (7)

Of course if you dont have Logic 7 or Individual, you'll also have to upgrade the amp to get full benefit of the speaker upgrade.
Appreciate 6
Nyc Dito112.50
argento539.50
werdn670.50
heatmizr154.00