View Single Post
      07-30-2020, 08:08 AM   #226
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveingigharbor View Post
I am the third owner. Car had the Velos tune, exhaust tweaked, turbos tweaked, etc.
Tuning is the modification of a car to optimize it for a different set of performance requirements from those it was originally designed to meet.

There's lot more to modifying a car than just increasing the boost or doing things in tits bits... Tweaking the turbos (stage 3) increases the air flow to the engine and while raising the boost (tune), supposedly increases the fuel to the engine.

So you now have increased air flow (turbos-mostly exhaust-heated air), increased boost (the tune) which takes the stock power 550 to close to 700, pretty impressive, right?

All car manufacturers have some sort of safety allowances already built in to save the engine for various reasons, like poor weather conditions, bad gas and of course engine component malfunctions like bad spark plugs/Injectors.

There's lot more to tuning than just being able to read the ECU, change the AFR maps and viola, the tuner now claims 175 more.

Every engine is different so it's very important for a tuner to be able to know the engine design, strengths and flaws of a specific vehicle before modifying the engine

What amuses me with X5M platform is, with known Injector flaws, increasing the boost, what happens if the injector fails?

What about the intercoolar to cool down the exhaust gasses, what about the EGT's, what about the compression ratio's, cylinder wall strength's etc?

We all bitch about the DINAN, but there's a reason why they don't want to squeeze every bit of power from these engines.

Bottom line is, if you want to increase the power by 30%, you gotta work on the engine internals too... You either do it before or after a tune it's your call, and there's no way around it.

If it was me getting the tune, I would definitely dyno tune it where I can see the AFR's through out the RPM's for safety reasons.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0