View Single Post
      07-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

N63 or S63 cam gear failure? (Update Semi-rebuild)

Last week got off work and 2 blocks down ....Booomm!!
Check engine light- malfunction
Red -Low oil light
Engine is knocking and clattering , i was like “Fuuuuu#^#^}^ nooooooo !!
Pull off the road and luckily i had my generic obd scanner in the car.
Scanned the car and came back :
P0012 A camshaft position timing over-retarded.
Called my wife to bring me a qt of oil, I thought it was low but it was full. Things didn’t change. It sounded like a rod knock but 5x worst with the clanking and clattering. Once i gave it gas it quiet down to some degree but still a nasty noise.

So i said hell with it and limped 10 miles home safely. Nothing had gotten worst or better once back in the garage. Scanned the car again with Ista and got :
2A7F Intake variable camshaft timing control 2
2A82 VANOS intake
2A9D Crankshaft- exhaust camshaft 2- reference
2B2E rail pressure sensor plausibility

I have been researching all of which no one had any if these problem before.
Now few months back I had replaced all 4 new Febi Vanos solenoid and it ran great for the past couple thousand miles. I tore down the part of the engine to remove the vanos solenoid again and tested it immediately right out the vehicle and all are working properly. I’ve had other cars that the vanos solenoid had failed and it was nothing horrible like this. It was just a check engine light and car still ran smooth and QUIET.

I haven’t tore down the valve cover yet but with the vanos cover remove i was able to access the chain tensioner area. The chain was still nice and tight. Both Cam phaser is still there. When this happen, I was accelerating very slowly. I couldn’t understand the low oil light part. Vanos was full of oil when pulled.
Im at lost with this car now. I lost all interest on working with car as an enthusiast.

Last edited by TwinSnailz; 08-31-2020 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0