View Single Post
      12-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Having an E85 Z4 with an N52 (which has been bulletproof since I bought it in 2009), and also an E70 X5 with the N55 for the last 3 years, and knowing that the reliability of the N52 is vastly superior to the N55 (my X5 is in the shop right now as I type this with a VANOS failure; the high pressure fuel system died in September - two major engine issues in 3 months - and the transfer case packed it in back in July - thank God for extended warranty); I think I would be more than happy to keep the N52.

None of that turbo charged shit - just plain old naturally aspirated reliability. Perhaps not as thrilling as a working N55 to be sure, but not nearly as terrifying either when the N55's evil little engine alarm light decides, as it very likely will, that its time to brighten your day, spike your blood pressure and threaten your bank account.

Just sayin'.
Thanks, but like I said, I'm not worried about the reliability. Try towing another Z4 with your Z4 and see how it handles it The weight differential is bad and I'm sure the throttle mapping isn't lending me any favors. The car is dead below 2k, and it won't get moving unless i floor it most of the time. If it was in a track car, sure. But I can't daily drive a car that struggles to pass a ford focus.

I do my own labor and repairs for the most part, so a hpfp isn't a huge issue. I've already had to replace every gasket on the cylinder head it seems, and there's still a few small leaks somewhere. So even the N/A engines aren't bullet proof. I'll pay $1000 a year to get an extra 100 ft lbs of torque.

I also think the 6-speed trans vs newer 8speed is contributing to the sluggish behavior. That paired with the N55 would make a world of difference.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0