Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdX5M View Post
I think that sadly a lot of these issues have to do with how the vehicles were treated before they were in our hands - if we bought used. Although there are some examples of F10 M5's grenading when the owner has followed a proper maintenance schedule. In that case it could come down to pushing the car before it hits operating temperature, improper oil viscosity, and apparently there were some S63's made during a few month span in 2012 that had a faulty oil pickup/pump. Supposedly a recall was issued to remedy.

I've tried to do as much reading on the subject as I could after hearing of the issues. Really all that we can do care for the cars as best we can unless you're willing to tear apart a motor that may be completely fine. Change the oil every 5-7k, check oil levels like a hawk, and follow proper warm up and cool down procedures.
true that! I think I've been extra lucky, I've been racing mine extra hard most of the time, tires are actually coming apart at the edges from all the burnouts I've done, and it seems to be extra hard to do with a 4 wheel drive vehicle! Lots of fun with it though. I've changed oil twice, synthetic every time. I think maybe next time just conventional oil or a synthetic blend? Or just spend the extra $$? I'm still not convinced that synthetic actually helps.
Nothing but full synthetic - unless you want to add to this thread that your S63 grenaded too. If you're driving an X5 M the cost of synthetic oil should be the least of your worries. I use Liqui Moly Molygen 5w-40 with their Liqui Moly Ceratec additive. 40 is the maximum weight for this motor so don't go above that. Guys in middle east have tried 10w-60 and that went bad in a few thousand miles. Tolerances on this motor are too tight.

And they are M cars so they're meant to be driven hard not babied - just need to follow proper procedures.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0