Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
What was the worst part? How did the refill go? I have to do this shortly and I'm a bit nervous...
Getting the fill plug loose was very difficult. I had to keep banging on it with a hammer and Allen key. The worst part were three bolts that were mostly inaccessible due to a transmission brace. I had to use a grinder to shorten my T40 bit and tape it to a wrench to painfully slowly loosen, then tighten those three bolts. I’ve seen elsewhere a workaround to lift the transmission out of the way, but there was no way I would do that. The clearance was also difficult. I don’t have a lift, and had my car slightly higher on wood planks. Even so, space was very tight. Also, I was not able to achieve the proper torque setting because my 1/2 inch torque wrench required several adapters for the small T40 bit, which yields very inaccurate results. Since the torque requirement is so small, I just estimated it by hand tightening all around. Ironically, the easiest part was filling with my transfer pump, even though I burned myself several times on the exhaust during the final fill, which requires the car to be running at operating temperature. I ended up pushing the plunger down and holding the hose up to the fill hole with both arms behind my head. It was quite a contortionist dream!

Last edited by Poppyboy; 04-04-2019 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0