Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwill1192 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Yes they'll work on yours provided you have the Sport or M Sport package, otherwise it won't work.
I can confirm that the paddle shift retrofit DOES work on a 2012 LCI E70 without the Sport or M Sport package.

I just completed retrofitting a heated Sport steering wheel with paddles into my 2012 LCI X5. My car had neither a heated steering wheel nor the Sports package factory installed.

I did it in two steps primarily because I started the heated retrofit before I was aware the paddle shifter retrofit was a possibility. I used Mundo74's tutorial as a basis for the heated steering wheel, though I wired it to conform to the factory wiring diagrams. The details are in my post at the bottom of that thread. https://xoutpost.com/1152956-post28.html

While doing the retrofit, I confirmed that I had 5VDC between pins 4 and 6 of the x01003 connector in the steering wheel--the "PAD+" and "PAD-" pins from the wiring diagrams.

I found a Sports steering wheel with heater and paddle shifters from a 2013 X6 for $225+shipping on eBay. I'm about 98% sure it's BMW part number 32306797911. I also bought a knock-off airbag cover from eBay ($38). I swapped the airbag cover onto the spare post-recall airbag that came with my first heated steering wheel, then put the new Sports steering wheel in the car.

I added the 2XA option to the VO, though I don't think this was necessary--there were no other modules that I coded for this.

When everything was put back together I went for a test drive. The paddle shifters worked exactly as I had hoped. I will replace the knock-off airbag cover with an OE cover just to be on the safe side--just waiting for it to arrive from Europe.

I probably won't use the paddle shifters very often, but I love the look of the Sports steering wheel.
I have a 2013 LCI x5 xdrive35i WITH heated wheel but without MSport. I'm not sure if the wiring is the same as others who have posted but I'm curious as to what coding, wiring or other modifications are needed.

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0