01-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #34
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Sounds familiar! Bella is getting too old to play the way Sophie wants to. Thankfully Sophie seems to realize this and respect it (most of the time).

So just a thought on Tramadol: You may want to talk to your vet about dosing, or, adjust it yourself. Bella gets put on it when she throws her back out as most dachshunds are prone to do from time to time. They prescribe her 25 mg every 8 hours. When I herniated a disc in my back I was prescribed Tramadol, 50 mg every 8 hours. I weigh exactly 10x what bella weighs. Veterinary scripts for human based meds are often in massive doses. You might find that Angus is still able to get relief from the arthritis without being whacked out of his mind if you can back the dosing off a bit. I'm no vet so please talk to yours, but prescribing 10X the human dosing seems nuts. Instead of 1/2 tablets (25 MG), I chop Bella's into 1/8ths and it still seems to take the edge off until the back pain subsides.
Good suggestion. He gets 25 mg every 12 hours now. My wife and I have been discussing trying some adjustments and plan to discuss with our vet. He is also not eating well and I know Tramadol can cause an upset stomach. Our vet suggested 1/2 Pepcid pill, which we have been doing. If we cut back on Tramadol, perhaps he will eat better without even needing the Pepcid. I hate giving him all these pills but also hate the idea of not doing all we can to help him.