View Single Post
      01-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
Vortechys
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d m sport, 2010 X5M

This was a DIY. I've got a lift which helped with laying everything out.
As far as the parts list.
1. 1 pair of Doug's 3" exhaust cutouts
2. 2 Pypes 3" Y pipes (stainless)
3. 1 Gama Electronics RF12V1PR-ASL remote control system

You can buy Doug's cutouts in a kit including the Y pipes but the pipes are not stainless. That is why I used the Pypes .
You have to cut an oval shaped hole in each pipe. I figured out where I wanted them and then marked the exhaust pipes.
I removed the whole exhaust system and welded it off of the car. It's a trial and fit process.
I just used the sections of the Y pipes for the collector flange pipe. Basically cutting that piece off and fitting it to the original exhaust system
Once I had the Y pipe section fitted where I wanted it , I just tacked it in place and then installed it back on the car to make sure clearance's were correct and that they lined up properly.
Be aware the left and right sides are not symmetrical.
Once that was done, I took the exhaust back down, outlined the Y pipe collector piece and then removed the tacks so I could open an oval in the original exhaust.
Everything was mig welded with stainless 308 wire with trimix gas. You can tig weld it if you want beautiful looking welds.
Wiring is straight forward . I used the fuse box in the back for power. I used a fuse tap and took power from the power tail gate. That way, I could open the exhaust before starting the car if I wished.
If you have any other questions , let me know.
Appreciate 0