View Single Post
      06-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #10
bobback
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
I think the first mistake was not being willing to overlook minor flaws in the paint, especially on a truck. Yes, I understand new Ford pickups prices aren't cheap, but it is a truck after all.

0.0 of the new cars sold in this country are sold without at least one flaw. I absolutely promise you I could find one flaw in ever single new car out there. I had someone challenge me to this about two years ago, so we went to a Mercedes-Benz dealer, an Infiniti dealer, and an Audi dealer. I won. Any time you let someone try to correct a minor paint flaw, you introduce the possibility of ending up with a result that is worse than what you started off with. Unless it is a glaring problem (delamination, color match, high amount of debris in the paint), the chances are you're going to fix one problem and end up with three new ones. You are now discovering this.

Keep in mind too that returning the same truck to the same body shop and the same painters over and over again is going to result in LESS motivation on their part to fix the complaints that you have. I promise you they are beyond sick of looking at your truck, and that's not a good frame of mind to be working with.

My advice would be to talk to your dealer, try to get them to agree to have a different Ford dealer redo the job, and don't expect perfection from any thing or anyone. 'Nibs' in the paint are typically caused by small airborne particles, 'divots' are referred to as fisheyes and those are tyically caused by some sort of contaminant being present on the surface, usually skin oil. It is impossible to remove the possibility of contaminants being present in a paint booth, no matter what style of booth you use (cross draft, down draft, etc) or how often you change your filters.

One other thing to consider; see if you can find out if Ford uses waterborne or solvent based paints at the time of manufacture. If they're using solvent based, go with shop that still uses solvent based paint system, and ditto if Ford is using waterbornes.

good luck.
My gut told me not to get any work done to begin with. But body shop assured me truck would be good as new, had a weak moment and took their word for it.

And yes, I was thinking how the dealer is probably getting sick and tired of seeing the truck. Despite them f'n things up. Just how society is these days, no one wants to take responsibility for their actions.

Last edited by bobback; 06-26-2016 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0